Call for Startups
The purpose of this call is to select entrepreneurs, spin-outs, start-ups, SME or others to receive mentoring, as part of the EU-Horizon2020 funded project “Astropreneurs”. Up to 50 hours of mentoring is available for each successful applicant, over a 6-month period. Check out the deadline for the next cut-off date!
The Astropreneurs Space Startup Accelerator is targeted at start-ups, i.e., either entrepreneurs in idea phase or a registered SME.
The idea should be space-related, meaning either:
- Based on a transfer of space technology to the non-space sectors,
- Based on space data used in a non-space sector,
- Aimed to address the space sector.
Applications not meeting the criteria below will be ineligible and will not go forward to full project evaluation. To be eligible, applicants have to comply with the following criteria:
- Applicants have to be located in a European Union member state or a country participating in H2020 programme.
- Non-EU entrepreneur, if selected, will have to establish a company in an EU country to be eligible before being accepted on the programme.
- Applicants shall be above legal age.
- Applicants must be able to communicate in English.
- Only one application per individual (or company) will be accepted.
- Applicants have to declare on honour that the submitted information is true and the project is original. (WP2, WP3).
This is an open call with an evaluation of applications every after the following closing dates. Applicants can submit at any time, but applications will not access until after the closing dates. Results and any feedback will be communicated with 4 weeks of the closing date:
- Cut-off date: 27/09/2018 | Results: 25/10/2018
- Cut-off date: 24/01/2019 | Results: 21/02/2019
- Cut-off date: 11/04/2019 | Results: 09/05/2019
- Cut-off date: 05/09/2019 | Results: 03/10/2019
- Cut-off date: 31/10/2019 | Results: 28/11/2019
- Cut-off date: 06/02/2020 | Results: 27/02/2020
- Cut-off date: 27/05/2020 | Results: 12/06/2020
Once an application has been reviewed against the eligibility criteria, each application will be assessed based on the answers to the questions below and information supplied in the application.
- 30 points · What is your business idea?
- 30 points · What is the space connection of your business idea?
- 20 points · Why do you want to be an Astropreneur?
- 20 points · How will you use the Astropreneurs support help you to achieve your objectives?
Applicants will have to score a total of 60 points [out of 100] to be eligible to join the Astropreneurs Space Accelerator.
Astropreneurs project will reserve the right to select fewer projects if there are not enough quality proposals.
Next cut-off date
Call for Mentors
The Astropreneurs programme covers ideas and concepts for exploitation in the space sector, from an entrepreneur outside the space sector, from people in the space sector who has an idea for use of space data or technology [processes, products and services] in another sector and people from any sector that would require data, expertise and/or technology from the space sector to exploit their idea. Astropreneurs joining the programme will be assigned a manager from the programme, who will assign a single or group of selected mentors to meet the Astropreneurs’ requirements.
We are seeking mentors for the Astropreneurs programme; all mentoring will be remotely and be delivered over a duration no longer than three months for each individual mentor.
There will be a per day payment up to €500 for paid mentors; costs will be calculated on an hourly basis. We will accept mentors who want to undertake the mentoring as part of their existing role, ‘Pro Bono’.
Mentors will support the following startups:
- Those outside the Space sector with an innovative idea for the Space sector;
- Those inside the Space sector with an innovative idea that has an application outside the Space sector;
- Those outside the Space sector with an innovative idea for any sector, but the innovation clearly benefits from technology and/or data from the Space sector.
The mentors’ selection process will be the following:
- Fulfil and submit the application form – once submitted it will be valid for the programme duration:
- Pre-selection on the cut-off dates according with the eligibility criteria – on each cut-off date only new applications will be assessed;
- Pre-selected applicants join the pool of Astropreneurs programme as mentors;
- Selection of mentors from the pool according to each startup needs;
- Contract* between Astropreneurs partner organization and each selected mentor;
- Deliver of mentorship, including reporting procedures.
After completion of two successful mentoring service to an individual Astropreneurs, mentors can use the experience and relationship with the Astropreneurs programme as reference for any further non-Astropreneurs contracts and we will be providing Astropreneurs mentors with a certificate and a logo they can use on their electronic and paper documentation as a reference.
*If selected on the Astropreneurs programme as a mentor you will be asked to sign a contract containing a confidentiality agreement.